Starbucks copycat Medicine Ball Tea is a soothing and cozy tea. One of my favorite fall and winter teas, this cold buster tea is not your typical herbal tea. This tea tastes simply delicious. It is full of nutrition and packed with comforting lemon and soothing honey sometimes earning the name of sick tea. So whether you are fighting a cold, or looking for a cozy drink to warm up with, this honey citrus mint tea answers the call.
One of my favorite drinks on the Starbucks menu is medicine ball tea. A tea drink made with two different teas and steeped in lemonade, its preparation is unusual, to say the least. Still, this drink is so flavorful and very soothing. Served hot, it is not only beneficial for combating illness, but it is also very warming, especially on a cold winter day.
This post contains affiliate links. See my disclosure policy here.
What is a Medicine Ball Tea?
Medicine ball tea is a popular recipe from Starbucks. It contains two different kinds of tea and is steeped in lemonade. This unusual combination of teas was a hit and has earned a place on the permanent Starbucks menu.
Honey Citrus Mint Tea
Combining two tea blends, one herbal, and the other green tea, this tea recipe is full of unique and cozy flavors. A small amount of honey is also added to the tea to provide comfort to a sore throat or for a cough. I love that this recipe is no fuss making it easy to prepare at home. With only 5 ingredients it’s straight to the point and even made directly into the serving mug. This tea recipe makes about 16oz so be sure to use a large mug!
Peach Tranquility is an herbal blend and does not contain caffeine, but the Jade Citrus Mint tea does have caffeine. I don’t know about you, but caffeine is the last thing I want to consume if I am hoping to curl up for a nap. So I am also sharing how to make this drink caffeine-free without losing any of the familiar taste.
How to Order a Medicine Ball Tea at Starbucks
If you are wanting to order this tea from Starbucks and don’t see it on the menu you can still place your order for it anyway. Simply ask for a medicine ball tea, cold buster tea, or honey citrus mint tea. This tea the way Starbucks makes it does contain caffeine. If you want it without caffeine, you can ask to substitute the jade citrus mint tea. You can ask for a mint tea replacement or choose one of the options the barista suggests. I typically opt to substitute for a mint tea when I am ordering in the evenings.
- Teavana Peach Tranquility
- Teavana Jade Citrus Mint
- Filtered Water
Medicine Ball Tea Recipe
- Heat together lemonade and water until almost boiling.
2. Place both peach tranquility and jade citrus mint tea bags in your mug.
3. Once the lemonade and water are heated, pour over tea bags.
4. Add a squeeze of honey.
5. Steep for at least 5 minutes. You can leave the tea bags in your tea while drinking to continue to steep and release more flavor. However, the tea can become bitter so I would recommend removing them within the first 30 minutes.
Recipe Notes, Tips, and Substitutions
- Although Starbucks serves this tea with tea bags, it can become bitter over time. Remove tea bags after steeping or within the first 30 minutes.
- Enjoy when sick or well!
- Don’t save this tea just for the wintertime, enjoy it all year round!
- Honey is soothing to a sore throat or cough, but can be a little too sweet. Use less honey or opt to leave it out altogether.
- Never serve honey to anyone under the age of 1 year old!
- For a caffeine-free tea, leave out Jade Citrus Mint and substitute with an herbal mint tea or spearmint tea.
- If the exact Teavana teas aren’t available to you, you can try blending peach herbal tea with mint herbal tea. Although this combination is lovely but will not taste the exact same.
- Use any lemonade you like. I made my own using this recipe.
Ingredients with Powerful Benefits
So why is this tea considered a cold buster or sick tea? Besides the cozy taste, this tea contains some ingredients that may bring relief to symptoms of cold-like ailments.
Lemonade is not only delicious, but it also contains Vitamin C which is beneficial for boosting immunity. Additionally, the citrus from the lemon can help to clear congestion. To get the most benefits from the lemon, use freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Jade Citrus Mint
As a combination, this tea is a wonderful refreshing green tea that contains spearmint. Spearmint has menthol which can help to soothe a sore throat or cough. This tea also contains caffeine which can help to improve energy levels when feeling sluggish. If you are looking for a caffeine-free option, see the recipe notes for suggestions.
The perfect blend of tranquility, this is a fruity herbal tea that contains apple, rosehips, dried peaches, chamomile, and more! This tea is caffeine-free and has a sweet taste and wonderful aroma. Rosehips are rich in Vitamin C and have been traditionally used to help treat colds and flu. Chamomile may promote sleep and relaxation.
Is a natural sweetener that can be used in place of sugar. It is also a cough suppressant and can help to soothe a sore throat. Honey should not be given to children under the age of 1 year old. Additionally, if you are vegan or do not consume animal products, honey is not an appropriate choice. There are many plant-based alternatives to honey such as agave nectar or maple syrup.
Time for a Medicine Ball Tea!
Overall, this Medicine Ball Tea is a delicious way to help ease symptoms of a cold or just enjoy a cozy cup of tea. The combination of sweet peach, refreshing mint, and tart lemon makes for a well-rounded flavor that is both comforting and invigorating. If you are looking for an extra boost, add a squeeze of honey which can also help to soothe a sore throat. For a caffeine-free option, see the recipe notes for suggestions.
I hope you enjoy this soothing tea recipe! Leave a comment below and let’s connect! If you try this recipe, please come back and leave a review!
- 1 TEAVANA Peach Tranquility Tea Bag
- 1 TEAVANA Jade Citrus Mint Ta Bag
- 1 Cup Lemonade
- 1 Cup Water
- Honey ( to taste, about 1 teaspoon)
- Heat together lemonade and water until almost boiling.
- Place both peach tranquility and jade citrus mint tea bags in your mug.
- Once the lemonade and water are heated, pour them over tea bags.
- Add a squeeze of honey.
- Steep for at least 5 minutes. You can leave the tea bags in your tea while drinking to continue to steep and release more flavor. However, the tea can become bitter so I would recommend removing them within the first 30 minutes.
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 239Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 21mgCarbohydrates 62gFiber 3gSugar 58gProtein 2g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition is calculated by Nutronionix.