Brewing honey milk tea is an easy process that can be tailored to fit your own personal preferences. This beverage is popular in many parts of the world and can be enjoyed hot or cold. Honey milk tea is simple but flavorful and is generally made by combining black tea with honey and milk. There are many variations of this popular drink, including those that use boba, which is small balls of tapioca pearls that are chewy and delicious, or with other types of tea such as oolong tea or jasmine tea. Hot or cold, with boba or without, if you’re looking for a tasty and refreshing drink, honey milk tea is a great choice!
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy here.
How to Make Honey Milk Tea – Ingredients and Instructions
Honey milk tea may seem complicated to brew and create, but it’s not if you follow a few simple steps! To make honey milk tea, you’ll need some basic ingredients: water, tea, honey, and milk.
Gather your Ingredients
- Start with your Water! The water you use is important for brewing a good cup of honey milk tea. It should be fresh and clean, with no chlorine or other chemicals. If your tap water isn’t ideal for drinking, you can use bottled water or filtered water instead. I also recommend starting with cold water and heating it to the proper temperature.
- Almost any type of tea will work, but I like Assam tea in this recipe. You can also adjust the amounts depending on how strong you want your drink to be. For example, if you want stronger tea, you can add more tea leaves. Oolong and green tea are also good choices and quite popular.
- Honey is the main sweetener in honey milk tea, and it’s what gives the drink its unique flavor. I use raw honey or a honey simple syrup. For a floral variation, try adding lavender honey simple syrup! If you like a sweeter tea than me, simply add more honey to your tea!
- Milk will add creaminess and richness to the drink. You can use any type of milk you like for honey milk tea. Feel free to use dairy-free alternatives such as almond, cashew, or oat milk. Full-fat kinds of milk are also a good choice as they add richness to your drink.
- You can also experiment with different additions and toppings if you want to add some variety to your drink. For example, depending on preference, you can add boba for a honey bubble tea.
Now that you have all of the ingredients, let’s get started on brewing the perfect cup of honey milk tea. The steps below will work for any variation of this drink.
- Fill a pot with fresh water and bring it to a boil.
- Add your tea and let it steep for 3-5 minutes. (for black tea steep for 5 minutes, or for green tea steep for only 3 minutes.)
- Strain out tea leaves.
- Add honey to taste and stir until it’s dissolved.
- Pour the tea into a cup, and top with milk.
- Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
When you have it just the way you like it, relax and enjoy your delicious honey milk tea.
What is Honey Milk Tea?
Honey milk tea is a mouth-watering treat that is made by combining black, green, or oolong tea with honey and milk to create a creamy sweet beverage perfect for any time of the day. This drink is popular in many parts of the world and can be enjoyed hot or cold. There are many variations and ways to customize this drink, such as bubble, or milk tea. You can also use dairy-free options as well. No matter your preference, honey milk tea is simple to make and can be tailored to fit your own personal preferences. Whether you like your honey milk tea with or without boba, this drink is sure to please!
History and Popularity
The history of honey milk tea is steeped in tradition and is enjoyed by people all over the world. Honey milk tea is thought to have originated in Taiwan and has been enjoyed for centuries. Popularity, especially with boba, has continued to grow in recent years.
Try these Different Variations of Honey Milk Tea
There are many different ways to enjoy honey milk tea. Here are a few of our favorite ways to enjoy this delicious beverage:
- Hot honey milk tea is perfect for chilly days. Brew your favorite black tea and stir in some honey and milk. Serve with a cinnamon stick or sprinkle of nutmeg for extra flavor.
- For a cold and refreshing drink, try iced honey milk tea. Brew a strong batch of black tea and combine with honey and milk in a pitcher. Add ice cubes and drink immediately!
- If you’re looking for something extra special, add some boba to your honey milk tea. Boba is small balls of chewy tapioca that have grown in popularity all over the world. Add them to your drink for a fun and tasty treat!
- If you’re feeling fruity, try using fruit-flavored simple syrups in your honey milk tea. There are many different flavors to choose from, so you can find one that perfectly suits your taste buds!
What are the Health Benefits of Honey Milk Tea?
Honey milk tea is a great choice for a healthy beverage. It is packed with nutrients and antioxidants that can provide a variety of health benefits, and can help protect the body against damage caused by free radicals.
When combined, honey milk tea can support your overall health and nutrition with:
- Increased Energy: The caffeine in black tea can help to boost energy levels and keep you alert.
- Improved Digestion: The probiotics in milk help to support gut health, while the antioxidants in honey can help to protect the digestive system from damage.
- Reduced Stress: The calming effects of black tea can help to reduce stress levels.
- Antibacterial Properties: from Honey (and, it can help soothe a sore throat)
- Calcium and Protein: from Milk
The Caffeine Content in Honey Milk Tea
The caffeine content in honey milk tea can vary depending on the type of tea that is used. Most versions of this drink contain between 30 and 70 milligrams of caffeine per cup. Generally, black tea contains more caffeine than green tea. This amount is lower than the caffeine content in coffee, which can range from 80 to 150 milligrams per cup.
If you are looking for a beverage that contains less caffeine, honey milk tea is a good choice.
Tips on brewing honey milk tea
- When brewing black tea, be sure to use water that has been heated to between 195 and 205 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If you are using green tea, only bring water to a simmer and steep for no more than three minutes.
- Add honey to your tea according to your own personal preferences. Some people like to add a lot of honey, while others prefer a more subtle flavor.
- If you are adding boba, cook according to the instructions on the packaging, or make your own. I like using golden boba or black sugar boba in this recipe.
Can I brew honey milk tea with any type of tea?
You can use black, green, or white tea to make honey milk tea. However, the flavor of the drink will vary depending on the type of tea that is used.
Can I add any type of honey to my tea?
You can add any type of honey to your tea.
How do I make my honey milk tea more or less sweet?
You can add more or less honey to your honey milk tea according to your own personal preferences.
How do I make my honey milk tea hot or cold?
You can serve honey milk tea hot or cold, depending on your preference. For a cold drink, add ice cubes to your tea before serving. For a hot drink, warm milk before adding it to your tea.
More Milk Tea Recipes You Will Love!
Brewing a perfect cup of honey milk tea is an art form. From choosing the right ingredients to tips for steeping, we have everything you need to make delicious honey milk tea at home. So, if you’re looking for a new drink to add to your repertoire, give honey milk tea a try. You won’t be disappointed!
I hope you enjoy this tea recipe. I’d love to hear from you! Leave a comment below and if you try this recipe, please come back and leave a 5-star review!
Honey Milk Tea
Enjoy the sweet and fresh flavor of honey in this popular milk tea made right in your own kitchen with fresh boba!
- Water, divided
- 3 Tablespoons Honey or 4 Tablespoons Honey Simple Syrup
- 2 Teaspoons Tea
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1/4 Cup Boba
- 1 Tablespoon Honey or Simple Syrup
- Prepare boba according to packing instructions.
- Scoop boba into cup and top with 1 Tablespoon of honey or simple syrup, Gently Mix together.
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil.
- Add in Tea.
- Cover and steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain out tea leaves.
- Add in honey and stir.
- Pour tea over boba.
- Top with milk.
- Add ice if desired.
- Enjoy hot or cold.
- Use a straw to suck up boba.
- Add more or less honey to sweeten to your preferences.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 1770Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 10mgSodium 83mgCarbohydrates 453gFiber 0gSugar 447gProtein 5g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition is calculated by Nutronionix.
Dawn Michelle Michals says
This sounds so soothing and delicious!
I love this Honey Milk Tea! So easy to prepare and very refreshing!
I love rooibos tea with milk and honey, a pinch of cinnamon and some cardamom.
Now I need to go make another cup!
Thank you for sharing!