Enjoy a fresh turmeric spiced latte made with real turmeric! This herbal latte is creamy and delicious! Also known as golden milk or turmeric milk, this simple caffeine-free recipe is sure to quickly become a favorite!
I’ve been making turmeric tea since I first heard about the amazing ingredient turmeric, but only in the past year have I started to embrace using fresh turmeric. Although turmeric has its own unique flavor profile, it can be treated similarly to ginger which I found helpful. So today I want to share with you how to make an amazing turmeric spiced latte using fresh turmeric! This herbal caffeine-free latte is creamy, full of nutrition, and delicious!
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy here.
Why You Will Love Turmeric Spiced Lattes!
- Bursting with Flavor: Turmeric Spiced Latte, also known as Golden Milk, combines the earthy warmth of turmeric with a blend of aromatic spices creating a comforting, full-bodied flavor that is hard to resist.
- Health Benefits Galore: Turmeric is renowned for its powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. (Source)
- Creamy & Comforting: The rich, creamy texture of the latte, whether you use dairy or plant-based milk, brings a soothing quality that makes it the perfect cozy beverage, especially during those chilly evenings.
- Simple & Easy to Make: This Turmeric Latte is surprisingly easy to prepare right at home! With only a few ingredients and a few minutes, you can have a delicious, steaming cup in your hands.
- Versatility: You can enjoy this latte hot or iced, making it a year-round beverage. Plus, it’s easy to customize to your taste – add a dash of sweetener, a hint of vanilla, or even a sprinkle of cinnamon on top for extra warmth.
- A Trip Down Memory Lane: There’s something nostalgic about the process of making and savoring this latte. It’s a moment of calm in a busy day, a chance to slow down and connect with a traditional recipe that has been passed down through generations.
- Fresh Turmeric Root: This ingredient is the star! Look for fresh turmeric root in the produce section of your local grocery store. You’ll need about two inches of turmeric root for this recipe.
- Milk: You can use any type of milk you prefer. Almond milk, coconut milk, and cow’s milk all work beautifully in this recipe.
- Sweetener: Add honey, maple syrup, or any sweetener of your choice to taste. Remember, the sweetness is to balance the earthiness of the turmeric.
- Spices: This is where you can play around. The basics would be a 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon and a pinch of black pepper (which enhances the absorption of turmeric). You can also add a pinch of ground ginger or even cardamom for an extra flavor kick.
- Vanilla Extract: While optional, a 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract adds a subtle depth of flavor and a wonderful aroma.
Remember, this is your latte, so feel free to adjust anything to your preference. Enjoy the process of making it your own!
Essential Kitchen Supplies
- A Sharp Knife
- Small Saucepan
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
How to Make Turmeric Spiced Latte
Wash, peel, and chop or slice turmeric root. You will need about 2 tablespoons chopped or 2 inches of turmeric root sliced.
Add prepared turmeric and water to a small pot and cook for 10 minutes. Bring the mixture to a boil and then turn the heat down to low and simmer for the remaining time.
Strain tea through a strainer to remove turmeric solids and stir in honey.
Warm and foam milk
To assemble this turmeric latte, pour turmeric tea into a serving cup and top with foamed milk. (optional: sprinkle dried ground turmeric on top for garnish.)
- Boost the Health Benefits: Add a sprinkle of black pepper to your latte. The compound piperine, present in black pepper, enhances the absorption of curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, by up to 2000%. (source)
- Finding the Perfect Sweet Spot: Feel free to adjust the quantity of sweetener according to your taste preference. Remember, it’s all about creating the perfect balance between the earthiness of turmeric and the sweetness of your chosen sweetener.
- Spice It Up: Experiment with different spices like ground cardamom, nutmeg, or even a touch of cayenne pepper for a spicy kick. The combination of these spices can add a unique depth of flavor to your spiced turmeric latte.
- Plant-Based Alternatives: This latte is easily adaptable to a vegan diet. Simply replace the honey with maple syrup or agave nectar, and use plant-based milk like almond or coconut milk.
- Drink it Warm or Cold: This Turmeric Spiced Latte can be enjoyed warm, particularly on chilly evenings, or chilled as a refreshing summer drink. Simply let the latte cool down, then serve it over ice. Remember to give it a good stir before drinking.
What is a Turmeric Latte?
A Turmeric Latte, often referred to as “Golden Milk” or “Turmeric Milk”, is a heartwarming, nourishing beverage.
This deep golden drink is made by infusing fresh or ground turmeric root into a tea and topping it with foamy milk. This golden spice is known for its incredible health benefits. It’s adored for its earthy, slightly spicy flavor and can be augmented with a mixture of additional warming spices like cinnamon, ginger, and black pepper.
The latte’s natural sweetness comes from a touch of added honey or your favorite natural sweetener.
The enticing aroma, comforting warm flavors, and golden glow of the Turmeric Latte invite a moment of calm and relaxation, making it an ideal drink to enjoy at any time of the day. Whether you’re seeking a caffeine-free alternative to your morning coffee or a soothing beverage before bedtime, the Turmeric Spiced Latte is a delightful choice that combines delicious flavor with healthful ingredients.
What is turmeric and why is it beneficial?
Turmeric is a golden-hued spice frequently used in Indian and Asian cuisine and known for its health benefits. The active component in turmeric, curcumin, has powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. (Source)
Can I use ground turmeric instead of fresh turmeric root?
Yes, you can substitute fresh turmeric root with ground turmeric. However, the flavor may vary slightly and the color may be more intense. A good rule of thumb is to use 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric for every 1 inch of fresh turmeric root.
How often can I drink a turmeric-spiced latte?
This is up to personal preference and what your body can tolerate. Some people enjoy a turmeric latte daily, while others prefer it a few times a week. Always consult your doctor with any changes to your health routine or if you have concerns.
Can I make this recipe dairy-free?
Absolutely! You can substitute conventional milk with your favorite plant-based milk, such as almond or oat milk. The flavor will be just as delicious.
Can I add other spices to my turmeric spiced latte?
Certainly! Feel free to experiment with other spices. Some popular additions include cardamom, nutmeg, and even a touch of black pepper.
Is there an optimal time to drink a turmeric-spiced latte?
There isn’t a specific best time to enjoy a turmeric latte. Some people love it as a caffeine-free start to the morning, while others enjoy it as a calming beverage before bed.
More Herbal Tea Recipes You Will Love!
- Turmeric Tea
- Turmeric Ginger and Cinnamon Tea
- Turmeric Ginger and Lemon Tea
- Cinnamon Lemon and Ginger Tea
- Tarragon Tea
- Thyme Tea
- Passionflower Tea
I hope you enjoy this caffeine-free latte recipe. Leave a comment below and let’s connect!
- 2 Tablespoons Turmeric Root, (about 2 inches of root)
- 2 Tablespoons Honey (or to taste)
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 2 Cups Water
- pinch of black pepper (optional)
- Wash, peel, and chop or slice turmeric root. You will need about 2 tablespoons chopped or 2 inches of turmeric root sliced.
- Add prepared turmeric and water to a small pot and cook for 10 minutes. Bring the mixture to a boil and then turn the heat down to low and simmer for the remaining time.
- Strain tea through a strainer to remove turmeric solids and stir in honey.
- Warm and foam milk
- To assemble this turmeric latte, pour turmeric tea into a serving cup and top with foamed milk. (optional: sprinkle dried ground turmeric on top for garnish.)
Adjust the quantity of sweetener according to your taste preference.
This latte is easily adaptable to a vegan diet. Simply replace the honey with maple syrup or agave nectar, and use plant-based milk like almond or coconut milk.
Experiment with different spices like ground cardamom, nutmeg, or even a touch of cayenne pepper for a spicy kick.
This Turmeric Spiced Latte can be enjoyed warm, particularly on chilly evenings, or chilled as a refreshing summer drink. Simply let the latte cool down, then serve it over ice. Remember to give it a good stir before drinking.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 123Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 5mgSodium 41mgCarbohydrates 27gFiber 2gSugar 21gProtein 3g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition is calculated by Nutronionix.